Friday, February 20, 2009

Good style is personality with practicality

By Matt Weafer
Messenger-Inquirer Owensboro Today

The décor of a home is the reflection of the owner’s personality and lifestyle.

Laura Ruth Edge, owner of her new design business, L. Ruth Interior Design, recognizes her clients’ uniqueness and embraces their style to design the most practical and attractive area possible.

With spring blossoming, Edge said, many people want to shed the drab gray that clung to them over winter and redecorate for the new year.

L. Ruth Interior Design specializes in residential and commercial interior design, which includes product specification, space planning, project coordination, window treatments, floor coverings, wall covering designs and creative ideas for interior and furniture.

Inspired by her namesake, her Aunt Ruth, Edge focuses on cutting edge style; but more importantly, she focuses on pleasing her client.

“I was named after my Aunt Ruth,” Edge said. “And I always looked up to her. She was the epitome of good taste and class.”

Over the years, her aunt always signed Edge’s name as L. Ruth to emphasize that they shared a name.

So, Edge chose L. Ruth as the name of her business and had her aunt sign L. Ruth one more time so she could copy that for her logo.

With her aunt as an inspiration to produce practical designs with stylish appearance, Edge dedicates herself to satisfying her clients’ tastes.

Edge uses local suppliers for a wide selection of quality furniture styles, flooring options, fabric patterns and much more.

“I listen to my clients’ needs and wants,” Edge said. “I want the designs to reflect their taste, not mine.”

With a Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, Edge said she developed knowledge of many styles and an appreciation for designs that may not be her own taste.

“My interest in doing this is solely to make interiors look and work better for my clients,” Edge said.

Edge said she never wants an individual to walk into one of her clients’ rooms and say, “I bet you had Laura Ruth Edge design this.”

“That means I’ve become boring and redundant,” she said. By decorating according to her clients and with new styles that emerge daily, she strives for something unique with each project.

“There’s too much out there to reproduce the same design over and over,” Edge said.

Many people say, “I know what style I like, I just don’t know how to do it,” she said. Edge focuses on aiding those people.

“I learned to appreciate so many types of styles and designs that allow me to understand what a person wants,” she said. “I want to make it work for them with as little maintenance as possible.”

As an educated designer and a freelancer with Hubbuch & Co., Edge maintains a large selection of resources to help guide clients to their ideal designs.

“I want to be an efficient interior designer,” she said. “I’m wasting people’s time and money if I’m not doing what they need me to do.”

For more information or to schedule a consultation with Edge, contact her at 270-240-4932 or 270-314-8895. Or email her at LREdge@hotmail.com.

Reprinted with permission from Messenger-Inquirer.

No comments: